Business and Professional/Public Service
Why Study Culinary Arts?
Join an exciting, creative and growing career field by enrolling in this 30-credit certificate program. The degree can be completed in two semesters and is designed for those seeking quick entry or advancement in their culinary arts career. This comprehensive program is recommended for people who enjoy and want to learn more about food, cooking, and providing quality customer service.
Upon completing the certificate program, students will be prepared for entry-level positions in restaurants, catering companies and fast food or institutional food service settings. For those currently employed in the industry and seeking advancement, the certificate can help expand and upgrade culinary arts skills.
5 Top Reasons
To Study Culinary Arts at RCC
- TRANSFER: Graduates have transferred to the Culinary Institute of America, the French Culinary Institute, the Art Institute of New York, Cornell University, Johnson and Wales, NYU, Fairleigh Dickinson, and others.
- CAREER: A variety of job placement opportunities in the Hudson Valley Region after completion of this certificate program.
- VALUE: Affordable tuition, financial aid, scholarships.
- OPPORTUNITIES: Study Abroad.
- FLEXIBILITY: Part-time and online study can accommodate work, family, or other time commitments. On-campus childcare available.
Opportunities at Rockland Community College
Culinary courses offer hands-on experience featuring restaurant-quality equipment in RCC’s state-of-the-art kitchen lab. More than 40 student clubs including a Hospitality Club enrich RCC’s campus life. Activities offer many opportunities for socializing, learning, and networking. Hospitality Club members participate in community service activities and creative catering for special campus events. RCC’s Career Services programs help students with resume writing, interviewing skills, and job and career strategies.
- Restaurant Management
- Quantity Food Preparation I & II
- Purchasing and Marketing
- Beverage Management
- Introduction to Baking
- Menu Planning & Facilities Layout and Design
The program provides students with necessary skills needed for employment in the hospitality industry. Students become familiar with new equipment and trends as well as advanced operational theory.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to perform the hands-on skills required in the culinary industry
- Develop and demonstrate the ability to plan and implement numerous culinary functions
- Develop research skills used in the culinary arts industry
- Develop an understanding of the equipment used in the field of culinary arts
- Develop reasoning and problem solving skills