Business and Information Technology
Why Study Bookkeeping/Office Administration?
The Bookkeeping Certificate is for students who want to acquire the skills necessary towards obtaining employment as an entry-level bookkeeper or office employee.
The certificate is for students with or without previous educational experience. Upon completion of the certificate students will be prepared for entry-level employment in companies of all sizes, both public and private, in virtually all industry sectors. Students may find employment in a variety of areas including accounts payable/receivable, payroll and bookkeeping.
According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook 2010-2011, the opportunities for employment in the fields of bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks are projected to grow by 12 percent between 2006-2016.
- Principles of Accounting I & II
- Spreadsheet & Database Mgt.
- Business Ethics
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- Administrative Office Management
The certificate provides students the opportunity to start a new career or springboard to a degree in accounting. The program instills an appreciation and awareness of the racial, ethnic and gender issues in today’s business world; enhances the student’s personal and professional development; and encourages active informed citizenship and leadership.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Develop and maintain financial accounting statements and records
- Understand and become proficient in accounting software
- Demonstrate proficiency in a variety of business software packages such as word processing, spreadsheets and databases for analyzing and solving business problems
- Develop problem solving, critical-thinking and decision-making abilities