Physical Education Studies
Physical Education Studies
Associate in Science
Math, Natural and Health Sciences
Why Study Physical Education?
Knowledge and training in physical fitness and wellness can prepare you to play an important role in resolving some of the current health challenges facing our nation. Teaching others to maintain healthy levels of fitness and exercise can help them to lower their risk of developing diabetes and heart disease among other diseases currently on the rise in our population. Studies also show a correlation between practicing healthy levels of physical activity and maintaining good mental health. The AS in Physical Education Studies prepares you for transfer to pursue a bachelor’s degree in Physical Education, Exercise Science or other fitness/wellness related fields.
Graduates may pursue careers in Fitness Training and Recreational Leadership with the AS in Physical Education. Positions in Teaching, Athletic Training, Fitness Training and Recreational Leadership are some of the areas of employment one may pursue after completing a four-year degree.
5 Top Reasons
To Study Physical Education Studies at RCC:
- VALUE: Affordable tuition for a high quality education. Scholarships are also available.
- SUPPORT: Dedicated faculty. Small class sizes allow more individual attention. Free tutoring.
- CAREER: The AS in PE Studies at RCC serves as a foundation towards career options in multiple recreation and wellness fields.
- TRANSFER: Seamless transfer to continue your studies for a bachelor’s degree in Physical Education, Exercise Science, or other fitness/wellness related fields.
- FLEXIBLE: PE theory and activity courses at RCC serve as preparation for many higher level courses at four-year institutions.
Opportunities at Rockland Community College:
Our 90,000 sq. ft. Fieldhouse includes a fitness center, basketball courts, human performance lab, racquetball courts, and a half-Olympic size swimming pool. There are eleven sports teams, with golf, baseball, basketball, soccer, tennis and bowling for men and soccer, basketball, volleyball, bowling and tennis for women. You can join intramural programs for sports or get involved in over 30 other student clubs and organizations.
- Aerobic Fitness
- Team Sports
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Anaerobic Fitness
- Community CPR & First Aid
- Lifeguard Training
The physical education discipline provides students with the knowledge base to take control of their lifelong personal health and wellness. Students will be able to effectively manage their personal health and well-being, promote physical activity to those around them, and incorporate what they have learned into their daily lives.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of this program, students will:
- Design lesson plans for racquet and team sports and aerobic and anaerobic conditioning classes.
- Analyze the history and philosophy of PE and how it has progressed in the school system.
- Develop a foundation in biological sciences.
- Develop skills in the core concepts of community wellness, injury prevention and administration.
- Demonstrate proficiency in aquatic skills.