Fire Protection Technology
Fire Protection Technology
Associate in Applied Science
Business and Information Technology
Why Study Fire Protection Technology?
New technology and an increased range of responsibilities have created exciting new opportunities for firefighters. Firefighters are invaluable team members in emergency medical services, disaster recoveries, hazardous materials incidents, technical rescues, incident management, and ensuring building safety compliance, providing public education and more. The AAS degree in Fire Protection Technology is designed for students seeking immediate employment in the field. Students who plan to continue their education with a four-year degree or want to pursue or advance their career in fire or emergency management, should consider the AS degree in Fire Science Technology instead.
There is a demand for firefighters, fire and emergency service practitioners, and opportunities for fire heavy equipment operators, fire prevention specialists, fire hazard program specialists, and fire training specialists. Also consider careers in public safety and education, dispatcher, telecommunications and other areas related to fire protection.
5 Top Reasons
To Study Fire Protection Technology at RCC:
- EXPERIENCE: Get hands-on experience with fieldwork in the real world rather than just classroom instruction.
- FACULTY: Learn from dedicated professionals.
- SUPPORT: Small class size, more individual attention. Free tutoring.
- VALUE: Affordable tuition, financial aid, scholarships.
- STUDENT LIFE: A wealth of student clubs, organizations and activities for socializing.
Opportunities at Rockland Community College:
RCC is committed to fostering confident, clear-headed leaders within the fire service, with the support and participation of students, faculty and administration. Fire Protection Technology students are taught by instructors of every rank from one of the premier fire departments in the country.
- Intro to Fire Technology
- Principles of Building Construction
- Intro to Fire & Emergency Services Administration
- Fire Science electives
The AAS degree in Fire Protection Technology provides an effective, rigorous, and dynamic fire technology based education that motivates and prepares students to provide fire and emergency services in their communities. It prepares students for the increasing responsibility of firefighters to provide emergency medical treatment, assist in recovery from natural disasters and manage cleanup of hazardous materials. Students are prepared for a career in the highly demanding field of fire and emergency services. The program meets or exceeds the guidelines established by the New York Emergency Management System and the National Interagency Integrated Management System (NIIMS) under the Department of Homeland Security.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of this program, students will:
- Demonstrate effective knowledge of Fire Technology content areas, including fire safety, critical incident command, emergency planning, fire scene operations, fire exercise planning, fire and emergency operation center organization and management, leadership, resource planning and utilization of national fire science operation guidelines.
- Apply the knowledge base of necessary skills to be able to function within the fire profession at all levels.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, communication and management skills by analyzing situations, determining proper action, understanding the cost and benefit of actions, evaluating possible alternatives and unforeseen circumstances and then taking appropriate action as an incident manager.