Occupational Therapy Assistant Application Process
I understand that in order to submit an application to the Occupational Therapy Assistant Program at Rockland Community College I must:
- Be accepted at Rockland Community College.
- Complete the English Assessment and Math Assessment. There are no exceptions for taking these placement exams.
- Attend an OTA Program Information/Orientation Meeting.
- Complete the mandatory observation requirement as outlined by the OTA Program.
- Complete the observation report as outlined by the OTA Program.
- Obtain 2 recommendations in sealed envelopes.
- Obtain a Valid Health Clearance Form from Records & Registration.
- Complete the required OTA Writing Sample. This form is included in the application.
- Obtain RCC transfer credit evaluation, if applicable.
- Obtain RCC verification of prior degree, if applicable.
- Obtain RCC transcript and/or schedule, if applicable.
- Have earned a grade of C+ or higher in BIO 110 (Anatomy & Physiology I).
- Have a minimum of a 2.5 GPA.
May 15 for admittance to fall semester classes
October 15 for admittance to spring semester classes
Only completed applications will be considered for acceptance to the Occupational Therapy Assistant Program. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Admission to the program is competitive and selective. Submitting a complete application DOES NOT GUARANTEE admission to the program.
English & Mathematics Requirements:
- Before enrolling in occupational therapy concentration courses, all students must take the English and mathematics assessments given by the College to identify academic areas that require strengthening and to provide for enrollment in appropriate support courses. There are no exceptions from the mathematics and English assessments. Depending on the placement, students may be required to enroll in ENG 082/092 and/or MAT 065. 101E/048E.
- Students must place to ENG 101 in order for their application to be considered. It is strongly recommended that students take ENG 101 during their first semester enrolled in the OTA program,
- Students who have completed ENG 101, ENG 102 with a grade lower than C must repeat the course/s prior to completion of the academic portion of the program (prior to placement in Level II fieldwork). It is strongly recommended that students complete the ENG 101/102 requirements during their first two semesters in the OTA program.
A grade of C is the minimum passing grade for all Liberal Arts courses in the occupational therapy curriculum. All OTA courses in the curriculum require a final grade of C+ or better. Re-taking an OCC course requires a final grade of at least a B-.
If a student fails two courses with the OCC designation or fails the same OCC course twice, the student will be dismissed from the OTA program.
If a student is dismissed from the OTA program they will not be considered for reentry sooner than one year. Prior to reentry the student must successfully pass the current final exams of each occupational therapy course they previously passed if they want those credits to be accepted for the current program.
All occupational therapy concentration courses, (courses designated OCC) excluding Level II Fieldwork must be completed within eight semesters. Level II fieldwork must be completed within 18 months following completion of academic coursework.
All students must be advised by the OTA Program chair (or designee) in order to register for any OTA course(s). Any student who registers for courses without advisement may be dismissed from the OTA program.
The Academic Fieldwork Coordinator arranges all Level I and Level II fieldwork placements. Students must refer any inquiries, concerns, or comments to the Coordinator and not the clinical site directly.
Level I fieldwork is a required component of the final grade earned for all OTA course with a fieldwork requirement. Level I fieldwork not successfully completed will result in a failure for that course.