Policy for General Admission into the Nursing Program
1. The first step is to apply for admission to Rockland Community College online at www.sunyrockland.edu/go/admission. Students who are already enrolled at RCC but have not taken courses for at least two consecutive semesters need to reapply to the College at Admissions.
2. Students who have attended another college and wish credits to be transferred, must have an official copy of the transcript sent to the College:
Rockland Community College
Attention: Records and Registration
145 College Road
Suffern, NY 10901
Liberal Arts & Science courses are evaluated by Records & Registration, clinical nursing courses are evaluated by the Nursing Chair.
3. Assessments for English and Math are required. Schedule of test dates and study information can be found at www.sunyrockland.edu/go/assessment. Students who have received advanced placement or transfer credits for College Writing (ENG 101) DO NOT need to take the English assessment. Students who have received transfer credits for Statistics (MAT 125) DO NOT need to take the Math assessment. The assessment exams are REQUIRED for all other prospective Nursing students.
- If the placement results for math are MAT 065, MAT 100 or MAT 101E this course(s) must be completed before applying to the Nursing Program.
- If the placement results for English are ESL, ENG 082, 092, or 098 this course(s) must be completed before applying to the Nursing Program.
4. Liberal Arts and Science courses may be taken prior to admission to the Nursing Process sequence. However, students who are eligible for, and intend to use financial aid for nursing courses, should consult with Financial Aid in the Technology Center before registering for any Liberal Arts or Science courses.
5. Application to the Nursing Program –
A. Submit the Nursing Process Sequence Application and the NLN PAX-RN Entry Exam Registration form along with payment to Nursing in the Technology Center, Suite 8210.
B. Applications are accepted during the Fall Semester on normal business days from September 15th to October 1st and during the Spring Semester from February 15th to March 1st.
C. Students are required to take the NLN PAX – RN Exam within 10 weeks of submission of the application. If the NLN PAX – RN Exam has been taken elsewhere, scores may be sent to Rockland Community College Nursing after contacting the National League of Nursing (www.nln.org).
D. All students must complete background check and drug screening prior to the first day of Academic Semester in which they are taking their first Nursing Process Course.
PLANNING: A Health Records & Documentation Required form will be required before your first Nursing Process clinical course. All nursing students must complete an Influenza Vaccination / Declination form at the beginning of each influenza season. These forms may be obtained at Records and Registration in the Technology Center or online at www.sunyrockland.edu/go/registrar. The forms must be complete and submitted to Records and Registration by the deadline date for the semester in which you enter your first Nursing Process course.