Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools
You are here: Home Prospective Students Placement and Assessment Placement Test FAQ's

Placement Test FAQ's


How does the Placement test work?

You take the ACCUPLACER® test on a computer. The test instructions are easy to understand. A test administrator will always be present to help you. The test is administered on a computer, and it is advisable that you familiarize yourself with using a mouse and keyboard.


What should I bring with me to the test?

You will need to bring government-issued photo I.D.,  pen and pencil.   You should know your Social Security number.


How can I  take the placement test?

First, you must apply for admission to the College either by sending your application  or applying on-line and pay the appropriate enrollment fee.  Submit your high school transcript to Admissions. Request any colleges you have attended to send official transcripts to Records  Once the application has been processed, you will be sent an acceptance letter and the schedule for the placement test.


I absolutely can’t take the test on a weekday; what should I do?

Tests are offered periodically in the evening and on Saturdays. 


Should you study for the placement test?

To make sure that test scores accurately represent your skill levels, you may wish to review basic concepts in reading, grammar, arithmetic, and algebra before taking the placement test.  Our webpage has sites where you can do some review.


Can I fail the ACCUPLACER placement test?

You cannot "pass" or "fail" the placement test. Your scores will not prohibit you from attending Rockland Community College. The test scores will help determine the English and/or math course(s) you may register for at the college.


I have a documented learning disability or other disability and require test accommodations; what should I do?

You should call Accessibility Services at (845)574-4541 as soon as you receive the testing schedule. 


How do I get waived from the test?

Students transferring to SUNY Rockland may be exempt from English and/or mathematics assessment if they have successfully completed college level English and/or math courses with a minimum grade of C or better at another college. This exemption is based on a review of your previous college records and depends on the specific degree program that you are pursuing.

If English is not my first language, do I still need to take the placement?

Yes, the placement test is used for all students even if English is not your first language. Your test scores will determine the course in English you will be required to register for at the college.

Document Actions