As an International Student you have to make sure that you are in status.
- Keep your passport valid at all times
- Attend the school you are authorized to attend, as indicated on your I-20
- Pursue a full course of study (full-time course load)
- Maintain registration each semester (Fall and Spring) until graduation or transfer to a new school
- Do not work without permission
- Filing a timely application to extend your I-20
Also, any violations of U.S. criminal law (drug arrests, theft, presenting fraudulent immigration documents, assault, etc.), can have very serious consequences besides arrest and a fine or possible jail sentence. It could also include deportation back to your home country, and confinement while you await deportation.
OBTAINING AN F-1 AND ENTERING THE U.S.
If you are now overseas, you will need the following to apply for visa at a US Embassy or Consulate:
- your SEVIS I-20
- your SEVIS fee receipt form I-797
- Recent photographs
- Proof of financial support
- Acceptance letter.