The 24 Hour College Credit GED Program is a program of the New York State Department of Education and is designed for people who want a college degree but who currently do not possess a high school diploma or GED. It allows the student to earn their GED and college degree with the same courses. If accepted into the college, they will start a college degree program of their choice. When they have completed 24 credits of that degree program they will send an application to the New York State Eduction Department and receive a GED based on their college work. This program is not meant for people who ONLY want a GED. Please contact Admissions for more information at (845)574-4224.
Special Admissions Procedures for Students Planning to Enroll in the 24 Credit Hour GED Program.
To be eligible you must:
- Attend a GED Informational Workshop at Rockland Community College before completing an application. We cannot process your application until you have completed this process. Please call our Admissions Office at (845)574-4224 to reserve a seat in one of our weekly workshops. Be a current resident of New York State for at least one month and must have not graduated from high school or have currently qualified for the NYS High School Equivalency Diploma. In addition on the day the diploma is awarded, a candidate must be:
- 19 years of age or older or
- 17 or 18 years of age and one year has passed since you were legally able to leave high school and last enrolled in a regular full-time high school program of instruction or was a member of a class that has already graduated.
- Take the English and Math Assessment tests and earn scores that meet or exceed the Ability to Benefit (ATB) scores approved by the U.S. Department of Education. Prospective students who cannot meet the ability to benefit standard are encouraged to seek assistance from their local school district if they are under the age of 18 or from BOCES if they are at least 18 years of age. After completing a basic skills program, prospective students are welcome to contact the Admissions Office to apply for admission.
- After demonstrating the ability to benefit on the assessment tests, complete and submit a Rockland Community College Application for Admission to an Associate Degree or Certificate Program with a $30 non-refundable application fee attached.
- Students without a high school diploma or a GED are NOT eligible for Federal Financial Aid (Pell) but they MAY be eligible for New State aid (TAP)
ROCKLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE DOES NOT GRANT THE NEW YORK STATE HIGH SCHOOL EQUIVALENCY DIPLOMA. WE OFFER THE COURSES NECESSARY TO APPLY FOR THE DIPLOMA THROUGH THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT.