Congratulations on taking steps to change your life!
Rockland Community College provides a welcoming and supportive learning environment for adult students. Many services and programs are available to help adult students succeed and reach their educational, personal and professional goals. Check the links on the side of this page for special opportunities for adults.
Most adult learners:
- Started college years ago and were unable to finish due to work and family responsibilities or
- Never had a chance to start college or
- Have a college degree, and now wish to enter a different field of study, or take classes for personal enrichment.
Whatever your reasons for attending, RCC welcomes you and is dedicated to your success.
What RCC Offers
You can enroll in courses for credit and earn a certificate or associate's degree. It usually takes at least two semesters to earn a certificate and two years to earn the associate's. RCC offers 12 certificates through our Fast Track Program and 29 degrees. Even if you do not have a high school diploma, you can still attend college! You can earn your GED and credits towards your college degree at RCC through our GED program.
You can also enroll in non-credit classes through our Center for Personal and Professional Development (CPPD). Courses range from one day workshops to multi-session classes in a wide range of subjects, including personal enrichment, computer training and certification, continuing education for real estate, insurance and health professionals, and more. There are also offerings for the entire family, including children and seniors. For more information or to receive a schedule, call (845) 574 - 4151.
Learn Anytime, Anywhere!
RCC has designed programs that fit with the busy schedule of today’s adults. Classes are available seven days a weeks at various times of the day and evening. Courses are available on the main campus in Suffern and at Extension Centers in Spring Valley and Haverstraw. You can also enroll in online courses or telecourses that you can take in the comfort of your own home or office on your own timetable.
Weekend programs are available in Business and Paralegal studies.
Paying for College
RCC is an excellent value. Our affordable tuition can be even more manageable with payment plans that work with your budget and timetable. Our Financial Aid office can help you apply for financial aid and loans. There are also numerous scholarships for adult students offered through the Rockland Community College Foundation. Financial aid, scholarships and loans are available for both part-time and full-time students.
Services to Help You Succeed
The College offers many services to ensure your academic and personal success, including:
- Services to Adult Returning Students (STARS), a support group
- Career, personal and transfer counseling services in the Student Development Center, part of Student Services
- On-site childcare in the fully licensed Fun & Learn Child Development Center
- Internships are available in over 1,000 off-campus sites, where you can earn college credit and learn about various fields in a hands-on, professional environment.
Quick Facts for Adult Learners about Rockland Community College
- Over 1,500 students over the age of 30 enroll each year
- More than $100,000 in scholarships are awarded annually
- 44% of students study part-time, and half are over the age of 30
- Part-time students are eligible for the liberal arts and business honors programs
- Nearly 1,000 students enrolled in classes in one of the Extension Centers last year
- Women comprise over 58% of the student population