Thomas Butler PhD
Thomas Butler, PhD
Thomas Butler, PhD, has been an RCC faculty member since 1990, the first 10 years in the Allied Health Department and, since 2000, in the Department of Mathematics and Science. He was Division Chair of Math/Science in 2005-2006 and since 2006 has been science coordinator of the Sam Draper Mentor/Talented Student Honors Program.
Dr. Butler also has a distinguished background in the field of respiratory care. Since 1990 he has served as a staff respiratory therapist and respiratory care manager at Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation in West Orange, NJ. At RCC he was Director of Clinical Education, Respiratory Care, from 1990 to 2000 and served as acting director of the Respiratory Care program for eight years over four terms.
Dr. Butler served in a variety of roles during an 11-year tenure at the Meadowlands Hospital Medical Center in Secaucus, NJ, mainly in cardiopulmonary and industrial medicine and respiratory therapy. He has written or co-authored four books on respiratory care and illness and made numerous presentations on respiratory-related themes.
- BS Natural Science, Saint Peter’s College, 1975
- MS Health Services Administration, Central Michigan University, 1988
- PhD Health Science, Leadership Track, Seton Hall University, 2004
- Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society, Iota Epsilon Club Chapter, 2012
- SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, State University of New York, 2005
- New York State Vanguard Educator Award, 1998
- New York State Department of Education Award, 1998
- Lambda Beta Respiratory Care National Honor Society, 1998
- Alpha Eta Allied Health National Honor Society, 1997
- Butler, T., Laboratory Exercises for Competency in Respiratory Care, 3rd edition, F.A. Davis, Philadelphia, 2013.
- Butler, T., Laboratory Exercises for Competency in Respiratory Care, 2nd edition, F.A. Davis, Philadelphia, 2009.
- Wilkins, R., Dexter, J., and Butler, T., Pocket Guide to Respiratory Disease, F.A. Davis, Philadelphia, 2001.
- Butler, T., Close, J., and Close, R., Laboratory Exercises for Competency in Respiratory Care, F.A. Davis, Philadelphia, 1998.
- “Students’ Learning Styles and Their Preferences for Online Instructional Methods,” SUNY Conference on Instructional Technology (CIT), Binghamton, NY, 2005
- “Respiratory Physiology and Assessment,” CCEMT/P Course, University of Maryland-Baltimore County, Baltimore, MD, 2004
- “Respiratory Complications in the Rehabilitation Population,” CCRN Review Course, West Orange, NJ, 2004
- “Manifestation and Assessment of Respiratory Diseases,” Dominican College, 2003
- “The SUNY Rockland Community College Writing Partnership,” Modern Language Association Writing Across the Curriculum Conference, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1999