Chair, Foreign Language
Mara-Lee Bierman serves as Chairperson of the Department of Foreign Languages and teaches Spanish courses. She has taught Elementary I and II, Intermediate I and II, Advanced Composition and Conversation I and II, Introduction to Latin American Literature and Introduction to Spanish Literature and has mentored students pursuing research in Independent Study. Under her leadership, the department increased its offerings to nine languages.
Professor Bierman’s academic vision is to foster interest in language and promote intercultural awareness in the context of diverse communities. Her goal is to prepare her students for the contracting international society in which they will be socially, intellectually and economically competing. Her academic interests and activities are designed to stimulate, enhance and sustain awareness of political, social and economic drivers in Spanish-speaking countries. She believes that success in foreign language instruction is achieved by transforming the isolated classroom environment into a virtual foreign culture.
Professor Bierman is committed to developing and promoting courses and multicultural programs responsive to the emerging needs of not only the College, but the communities it serves.
- BS, Spanish, New York University
- MA, Teaching English as a Second Language, New York University
- Granted six fellowships from New York University Faculty Resource Network over several years in a broad portfolio of subjects
- National and Regional: Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award at the Two-Year College Level: American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese
- New York State Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, 1995
- Rockland Community College and Rockland County Leadership Award
- National college NISOD Award
- Educators of Distinction, Gold Medal Achievement Award, Saludos Hispanos magazine
- Hispanic Coalition and HOGAR, Inc., Rockland County Hispanic Community
Professional Accomplishments: (Selected)
- Committee writer: CLEP Spanish Test of The College Board and ETS, Princeton, NJ
- Consultant/reviewer for foreign language textbook publishers: Pearson, Heinle, Wiley, Holt, Rinehart & Winston
- “The Exemplary Chair; What I Know Now and I Wish I Knew Then,” SUNY webinar for Faculty and Professional Development
- “The Chairperson’s Responsibilities: How to Be a Chair,” SUNY Leadership Conference, Syracuse University, NY
- “Teaching with Technology – An Online Forum,” Webinar participant, Pearson Publishers.
- Keynote speaker: All County High Schools Foreign Language Day Programs, Suffern, NY
- “Learning a Second Language: Why is it Important?”
- “First To Be Understood-The Need for Second Language Fluency”
- “Architecture: Investigation of the works of Antoni Gaudi.” International Grant, Barcelona, Spain, RCC