Kevin Barrett PhD
Kevin Barrett, PhD
Chair, Criminal Justice
Assistant Professor, Criminal Justice
Kevin Barrett, PhD, is assistant professor and Chair of the Criminal Justice Department at RCC. He came to the College as an adjunct in spring 2010 and joined the full-time faculty as assistant professor in fall 2010. Previously, he served as an adjunct at Fairleigh Dickinson University in Teaneck, NJ, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, CUNY, and Bergen Community College in Paramus, NJ. Dr. Barrett served in the Englewood (NJ) Police Department for 32 years, attaining the rank of lieutenant. He has been a certified instructor at the New Jersey Police Training Commission since 2009.
Among the courses Dr. Barrett has taught at RCC are Introduction to Criminal Justice, Introduction to Policing, Criminal Justice Field Experience, Juvenile Justice System, Constitutional Criminal Procedure, Special Topics—Analysis of Serial Killers, Victimology, and Public Policy and Criminal Justice.
- BA Political Science, Montclair State College, 1977
- MA Criminal Justice, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, CUNY, 1980
- MPhil Criminal Justice, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, CUNY, 2007
- PhD, Criminal Justice, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, CUNY, 2008
Professional Accomplishments (Selected)
- Co-Chair, RCC 2016 Self Study prepared by Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 2014
- Member, Faculty Senate Executive Committee, 2014
- Member, Faculty Senate Curriculum Committee, 2013
- Member, Faculty Senate, 2013
- Member, Committee Against Sexual Assault and Relationship Violence, 2013
- Member, New Student Orientation Committee, 2011
- “A Comparative Study of Urban, Suburban and Rural Police Officers in New Jersey Regarding the Use of Force.” Kevin Barrett (lead author), Maria Haberfeld & Michael Walker. Crime, Law and Social Change, Volume 52, Number 2, 159-179.
- “Interacting with the Police,” CETL workshop, RCC (with C. Ader & T. Mante), 2013
- “Focusing Students on the Importance of Studying,” CETL workshop, RCC (with T. Mante), 2012
- “A Criminal Justice Department’s Assessment Plan,” Northeast Association of Criminal Justice Sciences (NEACJS) conference, Plymouth, RI, 2013
- “One Department’s Assessment Plan,” Assessment Network of New York (ANNY) Conference, West Point, NY, 2013
- “The Impact of Studying on the Assessment Process” and “Pracademics: Their Value in the Two Year Schools,” 49th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences (ACJS), New York, NY, 2012