Kristopher M. Baker PhD
Kristopher M. Baker, PhD
Executive Director, Technology Innovation Center
Associate Professor, Biology
Kristopher M. Baker, PhD, is Associate Professor of Biology and Technology Innovation Center Executive Director. He was formerly Division Chair of Math, Natural, and Health Sciences at RCC. He began teaching at the College in 2004 and joined the full-time faculty in 2006. Previously he taught at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY, where he earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
An RCC graduate, Dr. Baker rejuvenated the Science Lecture Series at the College, developed an online course in oceanography, and established a course in marine biology for the Study Abroad program. He led RCC’s effort to secure an anticipated $2.8 million grant over seven years from the New York State Pathways in Technology Early College High School (P-Tech) program, focusing on Computer Information Technology, Engineering and Health & Green Building Technology.
Dr. Baker chairs or contributes to numerous committees on campus and also is active in the local community, having served as board president of Habitat for Humanity of Rockland since 2008.
- AA Math and Sciences, Rockland Community College, SUNY, 1997
- BS Biology, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1999
- MS Molecular Biology, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2001
- PhD Coastal Oceanography, Stony Brook University, SUNY, 2006
- “Forty under 40” award from Rockland Economic Development Corporation, 2008
Professional Accomplishments (Selected)
- Co-chair, President’s Diversity Council, Curriculum Sub-Committee, 2013-present
- Chair, Academic Standards Committee, 2013-present, Co-chair, 2009, 2010, 2012
- Faculty Senate Executive Committee, 2010
- Co-chair, Innovation Team, Energy Smart NY, 2010
- Chair, Division Curriculum Committee, 2007-2011
- Kristopher M. Baker, Christopher J. Gobler, and Jackie L. Collier, article on gene sequences from algae and certain bacteria in phytoplankton cultures, Journal of Phycology. 45:625-634, 2009
- Collier, J.L., Kristopher M. Baker, and Sheryl L. Bell, “Diversity of Urea-degrading Microorganisms in Marine and Estuarine Planktonic Communities,” Journal of Environmental Microbiology, 2009
- Baker, K.M., presentation on “Brown Tides in Coastal Waters,” Celebrating Scholarship Conference, RCC, 2010
- Baker, K.M and R. Campolongo, “Impacts of Waste Water on the Hudson River Biodiversity,” Celebrating Scholarship Conference, RCC, 2010
- Baker, K.M., “Anthropogenic Inputs into the Hudson River Estuary,” Purchase College Summer Research Faculty Presentations, Purchase, NY, 2009