Catherine M. Roche
Catherine M. Roche
Prof. Roche has been teaching at RCC since 1991 when she started as an adjunct instructor. Through the intervening years she has served as a discipline coordinator, department chair, and from 2011 to 2016 as the division chair. In 2012 she became a full professor in the Business Department.
An early advocate of using Internet technology for education, in 2000 using Lotus Notes through the SUNY Learning Network, she created RCC’s first online business course.
Since then, she has developed five additional online courses using various learning management systems and has web-enhanced her classroom courses. Professor Roche is a strong supporter of experiential learning and the use of ePortfolios as a form of direct assessment. She also serves as a mentor in our business internship program.
Prof. Roche is our campus Nodal Network Coordinator for SUNY COIL (Collaborative Online International Learning). In this role she assists faculty in providing a globally networked learning experience for our students.
- BBA Business Education, Pace University
- MA Business Education, New York University
- SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2013
Professional Accomplishments (Selected)
- Exemplar Coach and Mentor in the Open SUNY COTE Community of Practice
- Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt certification
- Steering Committee Member and Work Group Leader Standard 11 – Middle States Self-Study
- Chair, Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching Selection Committee, 2014 and 2015
- Chair, Division Curriculum Committee, 2009-2015
- SUNY Task Group on e-Portfolios, 2013
- Co-Chair, Faculty Senate College Retention, Tenure, Promotion Committee, 2005 and 2006
- Aaron, L. & Roche, C., "Intellectual Property Rights of Faculty in the Digital Age—Evolution or Dissolution in 21st Century Academia?" Journal of Educational Technology Systems Vol 43(3) 320-341, doi:10.1177/0047239515570582, March 2015
- Aaron, L. & Roche, C., “Stemming the Tide of Academic Dishonesty in Higher Education: It Takes a Village,” Journal of Educational Technology Systems, Vol. 42(2) 161-196, 2013-2014
- Aaron, L. & Roche, C., “Teaching, Learning, and Collaborating in the Cloud: Applications of Cloud Computing For Educators in Post-Secondary Institutions,” Journal of Educational Technology Systems, Vol. 40(2) 95-111, 2011-2012
- “The Meaning of Academic Freedom in the 21st Century Classroom,” co-presented at SUNY Conference on Instruction and Technology (CIT), SUNY Geneseo, 2015
- “Internationalizing the Curriculum: Collaborative Learning Experiences through Technology,” co-presented at New York State Association of Two-Year Colleges Annual Conference, 2015
- “An ‘IP’ Grade for IP Rights in Academia,” co-presented at the Fourth Annual Tri-State Best Practices Conference, Bergen Community College, 2015
- “Making the Grade: Academic Integrity in Today’s Digital World,” co-presented at SUNY Conference on Instruction and Technology (CIT), SUNY IT, 2013
- “Assessing Student Performance Through the Use of Rubrics,” Upstate Successful Teaching Conference, Syracuse, 2011
- “e-Portfolios 101,” Business Teachers Association of New York State 58th Annual Conference, Tarrytown, 2010
- “Using New Technologies to Engage the Millennial Student,” Upstate Successful Teaching Conference, Corning, 2009