HOURS OF OPERATION
- M, Th: 8 am - 7 pm
- T & W: 8 am - 5 pm
- F: 8 am - 5 pm
What we do...
Accessibility Services (AS) works collaboratively with the College community to facilitate equal access for students with disabilities to the educational programs, services and facilities of Rockland Community College. *In addition, AS is a resource to students, faculty, staff and community services to provide education, consultation and guidance regarding disability issues.
*In compliance with Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act and the ADA.
Our goals are to:
- Provide reasonable accommodations and support services
- Empower students toward self advocacy
- Promote achievement of student's educational and career goals
- Offer training and support to faculty and staff regarding the needs of students with disabilities
- Organize and coordinate campus-wide disability awareness
- Provide guidance regarding the development of college policies, procedures, programs and curriculum to ensure equal access and foster an inclusive educational environment
By planning ahead you can be ready to succeed as you face the challenges of college.
What is a disability?
The American with Disability Act defines an individual with a disability as a person who:
- has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities; or
- has a record of such an impairment; or
- is regarded as having such an impairment.
How can we help?
The following services are available to students with documented disabilities and are individualized based upon disability documentation functional limitations and an assessment of student’s needs:
- Disability advisement and supportive counseling services
- Academic accommodation advisement
- Testing accommodations such as extended time, distraction reduced environment, readers, scribes
- Note taking services
- Textbooks in alternative formats
- Assistive technology
- Sign language interpreting
How to access services
It is the student’s responsibility to notify AS of the need for accommodations and to provide appropriate disability documentation, which is kept confidential. Eligibility for services/accommodations from AS is a separate process from Admissions. Students should first complete an Admissions application to the College before requesting services/accommodations from AS. Students are encouraged to contact AS for further information regarding the accommodation request procedures.
(Click on the image below for forms and resource links)