SOAR Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. What is SOAR?
SOAR is RCC’S New Student Orientation Advisement & Registration model. All new and returning students are required to attend on their assigned SOAR date.
At SOAR you will:
- Receive important information regarding RCC’s policies
- Meet with an academic advisor
- Select classes & register
- Receive your RCC student ID
- 2. When may I select my SOAR date and time?
You may select a SOAR date and time after you have received your acceptance letter from Admissions. Please read all mail received from Rockland Community College. Additional information may be emailed to your RCC email address. Be sure you activate your account!
- 3. How should I prepare for SOAR?
To be prepared for SOAR you must:
- Complete an Enrollment Application and be accepted by the College.
- Take the Accuplacer Exam and have your English and math assessment results on file OR request an Accuplacer Waiver.
- Send all College, University and other examination (IE: AP, CLEP, IB, Dantes) transcripts that can be considered for transfer credit to Records & Registration.
It is extremely important to have the 3 items listed above completed 2 weeks before the SOAR date that you select. This will allow our staff to be prepared for your arrival.
- 4. What should I know about the day I attend SOAR?
- Space is limited, only assigned students may attend.
- Bring photo identification (acceptable ID: driver’s permit, driver’s license, high school or college ID, passport, military ID or any government issued ID).
- Arrive on time. Orientation starts on time and late comers may have to be rescheduled.
- SOAR will take approximately 3 hours, be prepared to stay.
- Students are encouraged to wear comfortable and appropriate clothing.
- 5. Rockland Community College requested my immunizations record, can I bring them with me to SOAR?
Yes, you may bring a copy of your immunizations with you and hand them in during check in. Please make sure it is a copy that we may keep and that your assigned RCC student ID number is written on the copy.
- 6. I took college level course(s) while I was in high school, can I receive credits for these classes?
Credits from an outside source will be considered when Rockland Community College receives the official transcript. For additional information please see the Incoming Transfer Students page.
- 7. When should I check in?
Please try to arrive at least 15-20 minutes before the start time of the SOAR date and time that you selected.
- 8. Where should I go to check in?
Check in will take place either in the Student Union room 3214 or the Lobby of the Technology Center. There will be staff and signs on campus to direct you to the check in location.
- 9. Who can attend SOAR?
SOAR is designed for accepted applicants who will attend Rockland Community College for the upcoming term. Those who have selected a SOAR date and time and have completed the SOAR registration form located on the SOAR Page should attend the date that they selected.
- 10. My parents have questions, can they come with me?
Yes, your family member may attend. However, they will go to a different location to receive information designed for them.
- 11. I have an IEP, am I entitled to accommodations?
For accommodations, students must self-identify with Rockland Community College’s Accessibility Services. For additional information please visit Accessibility Services.
- 12. Where can I find additional information on financial aid, student loans?
For more information visit Financial Aid.
- 13. Can I apply for financial aid or student loans during SOAR?
Yes, you may also apply any time during published business hours.
- 14. Does Rockland Community College offer scholarships to new students?
Yes, RCC offers scholarships to new students. For more information please visit Scholarships.
- 15. I cannot attend the SOAR date and time that I selected, what should I do?
We encourage you to attend your selected date, however we know emergencies may come up. If that is the case, you may register for a new available date or you may email firstname.lastname@example.org with your first and last name, student ID, contact number and request for a new date and time.