Housing for International Students
One of the most important things to take care of prior to your arrival at Rockland Community College is where you are going to live. RCC currently does not offer on-campus housing. International students who are in need of housing generally rent rooms or apartments off-campus in the surrounding area.
We have recently started working with the Stony Point Conference Center, located about 12 miles from campus in Stony Point, NY who are offering single and double rooms for RCC international students. See below for more information.
In addition, ISS does have a limited list of available rooms and apartments in the area that we try to keep up to date. Our office can help guide students to what housing is available, but it is up to the student to find their own housing. To receive a list of local homestays that have contacted RCC, please email International Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stony Point Center
As a 60 year old retreat and conference center, Stony Point Center has been providing warm, caring hospitality to people from all over the world for a long time.
The 30 acre campus is located approximately 12 miles from Rockland Community College and is accessible by public bus. The campus is safe, quiet, clean and comfortable, and the staff and volunteers create a friendly environment for all who come. There are a number of areas to quietly study and then there are other areas where you can interact with our other guests, volunteers and staff. Please see their brochure and website for more information.
Rates below are per person, per month, based on staying for one semester at the center.
Single Occupancy Room: $600
Double Occupancy Room: $400
These costs include once a week cleaning service by the housekeeping staff, linens and towels, extra blankets, WiFi in the room, and access to the laundry room in the Lodge.
All you can eat, homemade food made from their local gardens. Dietary needs can be accommodated as well.
2 meals per day, 3 meals on Saturday & Sunday: $450
3 meals per day (including bagged lunch if needed): $550
Rockland County Bus 94 goes direct from town of Stony Point to RCC (takes about 40 min). It is a 10-15 minute walk from Stony Point to the bus stop. Other transportation to RCC or other locations can be arranged for an additional charge. The center is also within walking distance to drug stores, a 24 hr. gym, the local library, and the post office.
Please contact Kitty Ufford-Chase, co-director, at email@example.com or 845-786-5674, ext. 121 with any questions. The center can be flexible with your staying needs and will work out a rate for you if needing to stay less than 1 semester.
Howard Johnson Inn
17 North Airmont Road, Suffern, NY
2.6 miles from campus
RCC has established a special daily rate of $79 plus tax. You need to either call them or email the hotel directly and mention Rockland Community College to receive this rate.
Crowne Plaza Suffern-Mahwah
Three Executive Blvd, Suffern, NY
2.6 miles from campus
Rooms for Rent/Apartments
The following websites can be used to find possible other housing in the area. Please note, RCC is not affiliated with any of these websites.
- Average rents range from $500 to $600 per month with a family.
- Students are expected to leave an additional $500 to $600 as security deposit--usually the equivalent of one month's rent. This money is used to cover damage to property or to cover lost rent if a student moves before the agreed time period.
- Keep in mind that most landlords/ladies expect students to stay in their home at least one semester (4 months).
- Rules vary from home to home.
- Apartments may require a co-signer
- Rent for a 1 bedroom apartment may start at $1000 per month
- We suggest reading BestColleges.com Student Renter's Guide when thinking about renting an apartment. Helpful Hints when Apartment searching:
- Make sure you are able to view photos or view the apartment in person before signing the lease
- Some apartments require first & last month’s rent and a broker fee.
- Inquire about what bills you will be responsible for
- Don’t move into a new place without signing a lease