Personal tools
Log in

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation


Federal and State Financial Aid Programs

Financial Aid Programs

Federal Pell Grants

(RCC School Code 002877)

The federal Pell Grant Program is the foundation of the federal government’s financial aid programs. Income, assets, size of the family, the number of family members in college and other factors determine eligibility. A congressionally legislated index calculated from the student’s application data, called the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), and the student’s enrollment status determine the student’s eligibility for the Pell Grant.

Application: The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed each academic year.

Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

Federal SEOG funds are reserved for undergraduate students who demonstrate exceptional financial need, as determined by the College. Priority for these awards is given to Pell Grant recipients taking 6 or more credits.

Application: Early completion of the FAFSA is necessary for being considered. Financial Aid notifies eligible recipients.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

Provides on- and off-campus jobs for students with financial need to help them earn money to pay for their educational expenses.

Eligiblity: Students must matriculate in a degree or certificate program, take at least 6 credits and demonstrate financial need.

Application: Complete the FAFSA each academic year. Financial Aid must award this aid type to the applicant. FWS recipients must also complete and file an employment application in Job Placement, Room 8238 of the Technology Center.

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

(RCC School Code 2147)

TAP is a New York State entitlement program.


  • A New York State resident for one year or more prior to the first day of the semester in which the student is enrolling;
  • A U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
  • A full-time matriculated student in an approved program of study;
  • In good academic standing;
  • Economically eligible according to current TAP criteria;
  • Not in default on a Stafford Loan.


Undergraduate students matriculating in a degree or certificate program may generally receive TAP awards for a maximum of three years of study (6 payments). The amount of the TAP award is determined according to the level of study, the tuition charge, the New York State taxable income of the student and his/her parents and the number of previous TAP payments the student has received.

Application: The TAP application may be completed by selecting the link at the end of your online FAFSA. If you do not complete the TAP application when you complete your FAFSA, an online application is also available at

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) for Part-time Study

TAP for part-time study requires that an eligible applicant began study as a full-time student in the previous academic year. In order to receive a part-time TAP award, a student must have:

  • Completed two full-time consecutive semesters of study;
  • Earned 12 or more credits in each of the two semesters for a minimum of 24 earned credits;
  • Maintained a “C” average.

Part-time TAP awards are available for students enrolling in 6 to 11 credits who meet all other TAP eligibility guidelines. Part-time TAP awards and their respective payment points are prorated based on the number of the credits enrolled and the student’s full-time TAP award. Part-Time TAP and Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) are two separate programs. Students can participate in only one of the programs in any given semester.

Application: same as TAP

New York State Aid for Part-time Study (APTS)

APTS is a New York State campus-based grant program for part-time students enrolled in 3 to 11 credits per semester. APTS may be used for tuition only.

Application: APTS applications are available in Financial Aid and must be submitted with copies of all applicable New York State Tax Returns.

Federal Direct Student Loans

Federal Direct Loans are low-interest loans made to students attending college at least half-time (6 credits or more). Loans are made by the federal government. Federal Direct Loans must be repaid.

Students can qualify for a Direct Loan based upon financial need, as determined by the FAFSA. These need-based loans (known as “subsidized”) offer in-school interest subsidies by the federal government. Students may also qualify for non-need-based Direct Loans (known as “unsubsidized.”) These loans do not offer interest subsidies. It is possible for students to have both subsidized and unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans.

Application: Information and Student Loan Request forms are available in Financial Aid.

Federal Direct Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

Federal Direct PLUS Loans are for parents who wish to borrow to help pay for their child’s education. These loans enable parents with good credit histories to borrow money for each dependent child who is enrolled at least half-time. In cases of divorce or separation, either parent may borrow on behalf of the student.

Application: Same as the Federal Direct Loan Program


Other Specialized Federal and State Programs


State Aid to Native American Indians
Phone 518-474-0537

Aid is available to those on an official New York State tribal roll. To apply, write to:

Native American Education Unit
New York State Education Department
Education Building Annex – Room 475
Albany, New York 12234

Federal Aid to Native American Indians
Phone 202-208-3478

For information contact:
The Bureau of Indian Affairs/Education
South & Eastern States Agency
1849 C Street, NW
Washington, DC 20240

New York State Adult Career and Continuing Education Services - Vocational Rehabilitation (Access-VR) formerly called (VESID)
Phone 845-426-5410

This agency provides services to NYS residents who have a documented disability that impedes their ability to establish or maintain employment. There are specific eligibility requirements for VESID, but a person with a disability can seek services from the agency at any time.

For more information, See the ACCESS-VR website.

Aid to Victims of the World Trade Center Attack

There are national, state and local scholarships available to students who were victims (or whose families were victims) of the September 11 World Trade Center attack. Consult the following websites:

Share |