24-credit HSE (formerly GED)
The 24-credit HSE (formerly GED) Program
The 24-credit High School Equivalency (HSE) program is a program of the New York State Department of Education to help people who want to earn a college degree but did not earn a high school diploma. Students attend regular college classes at RCC that are required for the college degree that they choose and earn their HSE along with a college degree. Upon completion of the 24 credits required to earn the HSE students do not need to take an HSE test or special HSE classes. For more information please visit this web page: http://www.acces.nysed.gov/hse/college-credit-and-out-state-testing. People NOT interested in starting a college degree program at this time should contact the New York State Education Department for information about earning the New York State HSE by testing. Information about the NYS HSE test (TASC) can be found on this web page: http://www.acces.nysed.gov/what-hsetasc-test
To enroll in this program:
- Attend a 24-credit HSE Informational Workshop at RCC
- Register for a workshop online: Register Here
(call Admissions at 845-574-4224 if you are having difficulty with online registration)
- Take assessment tests in English and Math and earn scores that meet or exceed the Ability to Benefit (ATB) scores approved by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Complete the RCC Application
(application cannot be processed until you have attended the workshop and passed the ATB tests)
- You must be a current resident of New York State for at least one month and have not graduated from high school or be currently qualified for the NYS High School Equivalency Diploma.
- Candidates must, at the time they apply to NYS for their diploma be:
- 19 years of age or older or
- 17 or 18 years of age and one year has passed since you were legally able to leave high school and last enrolled in a regular full-time high school program of instruction or was a member of a class that has already graduated.
*Students attend the courses necessary to satisfy the New York State requirements at RCC but the College does not grant the HSE. Students must apply for the diploma through the New York State Education Department. (Contact Records and Registration for additional information. )