24-credit HSE (formerly GED)
The 24-credit HSE (formerly GED) Program
The 24-credit High School Equivalency (HSE) program is sponsored by the New York State Department of Education to help people who want to earn a college degree but did not earn a high school diploma. Students attend regular college classes at RCC and earn their HSE along with a college degree. Students do not need to take an HSE test or special HSE classes. People NOT interested in starting a college degree program at this time should contact the New York State Education Department for information about earning the New York State HSE by testing. Information about the NYS HSE test (TASC) can be found on this web page: http://www.acces.nysed.gov/what-hsetasc-test
To enroll in this program:
- Attend a 24-credit GED Informational Workshop at RCC
(call Admissions at 845-574-4224 to reserve a seat at one of the weekly workshops)
- Take assessment tests in English and math and earn scores that meet or exceed the Ability to Benefit (ATB) scores approved by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Complete the RCC Application
(application cannot be processed until you have attended the workshop)
- You must be a current resident of New York State for at least one month and have not graduated from high school or be currently qualified for the NYS High School Equivalency Diploma.
- Candidates must at the time the diploma is given be:
- 19 years of age or older or
- 17 or 18 years of age and one year has passed since you were legally able to leave high school and last enrolled in a regular full-time high school program of instruction or was a member of a class that has already graduated.
*Students attend the courses necessary to satisfy the New York State requirements classes at RCC but the College does not grant the GED. Students must apply for the diploma through the New York State Education Department. (See Records and Registration for additional information. )