What steps should you take immediately after an assault?
- Get away from the attacker to a SAFE PLACE as fast as you can.
- Do NOT wash, comb or clean any part of your body. Do not eat, brush your teeth or smoke.
- Do NOT change clothes so that the hospital staff can collect evidence. (In the event that changing clothes is necessary put the clothes worn in a brown paper bag, not plastic.)
- Do NOT touch or change anything at the scene of the assault.
- Seek medical attention. You may have injuries that are not present yet. Even if you have no physical injuries, medical care is important to reduce risks of pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases. To preserve evidence, ask the hospital to conduct a sexual assault kit exam.
- Should you decide to report later, it is possible that physical evidence can be collected for up to 5 days.
- If ON CAMPUS, call Public Safety or 911 immediately.
- If OFF CAMPUS, call 911.
- If you do not want to report the assault to Public Safety or local law enforcement, you may contact confidentially Student Development Counseling Services at 845-574-4304 or 4306.