Personal tools
Log in


RCC Goes Virtual FAQs

Essential Resources | Student Resources

Records/Registration FAQ's Regarding Remote Services

Can I still apply for Graduation while the College is closed?

Yes, you can download the Graduation Application and email it to The College will bill your account for the $30 graduation application fee when staff have returned to campus.

How do I drop a course while the College is closed?

Most students can log into WebAdvisor through your myRCC portal and drop the course through WebAdvisor. If you are experiencing difficulties using WebAdvisor, download the Drop / Add Form. Complete it and email it with a copy of a picture ID to

Can I still register for a Flex Start 2 course that starts March 30th? If yes, how?

Yes, you can still register for Flex Start 2 courses using one of two options. Prior to registering, please check with your Student Success Advisor to make sure the course is required for your program of study.

  1. Go to WebAdvisor and register for the desired class.
  2. If you do not have access to WebAdvisor, download the Advisement/ Registration form or Drop / Add form, complete it and email it with picture ID to

I need my official college transcripts sent to my college/university or a business/organization. Can I still request it while the College is closed?

Yes, our vendor is still processing official college transcripts. You may use the link below to make your request. If you need assistance or have questions you may call their customer service at 847-716-3005.

Transcript Requests:

Can the transcript vendor send an electronic transcript?

Yes, our vendor can send electronic transcripts, Please select the Order Electronic/PDF Transcript(s) option. Please make sure that the college or business requiring the transcript is willing to accept an electronic version of your transcript and use the email that your college or business provides.

What ID will you accept to process my email request?

Your student ID is the best option, however, a driver's license, passport or government ID is also acceptable.

Can I fax my graduation, registration or drop add forms?

Yes, you may fax forms to 845-574-4499, however, faxed forms will be acted on less frequently (typically within 7 business days). The option that will have the quickest response is emailing your forms to

I am a visiting student interested in a summer course, what do I need to submit and where should I send it?

If you are a student attending a SUNY college or university please use the online SUNY cross-registration application found at

For non-SUNY students, please make sure your home school approves you taking the courses at RCC. Download your home school's required form and email it along with the following documents to

I am planning to graduate from RCC this semester, will there be a ceremony?

The College is closely monitoring the situation with the COVID-19 coronavirus and has not yet made any decisions regarding the commencement ceremony. If a decision is made to postpone the ceremony, it will be broadly publicized on the RCC website and an email will be sent to all prospective graduates.